On January 21, 2018 at 3:35 a.m., members of the Central Hastings OPP detachment were called to a single motor vehicle collision in the Village of Centre Hastings. Investigation revealed the vehicle had been stolen from the Township of Havelock Belmont Methuen, Ontario. The vehicle was used to break and enter into five residences in the early morning hours in Havelock, Ontario prior to the collision.
Another vehicle was then stolen from the Village of Centre Hastings from a residence and it was involved in another break and enter to a rural residence in the Municipality of Tweed. The vehicle was involved in a second single motor vehicle collision on Highway 7 east of Varty Road in the Municipality of Tweed.
Members of the Central Hastings OPP detachment, The Emergency Response Team and Canine attended the area. Police located a male adult hiding under a tree east the crash site with no injuries.
Highway 7 was closed for a period of time, while a search was being conducted.
As a result of the investigation, 22 year old John McKenna of Kingston has been charged with the following:
- Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm, 2 counts
- Possession of Loaded Prohibited or Restricted Firearm
- Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order, 4 counts
- Fail to Comply with Probation Order, 2 counts
- Break Enter to a Dwelling, 5 counts
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime under $5000, 4 counts
- Break and Enter a Place
- Theft of Motor Vehicle, 2 counts
McKenna was held for a bail hearing and will appear in Ontario Court of Justice in Belleville Ontario, 22 January 2018.