Over half a dozen units from Kingston Fire & Rescue responded to a report of a structure fire on Milford Dr between Bayridge Dr and Pembridge Cres on the afternoon of Monday, May 14th.
The report, which was received at around 3:30 p.m. and initially came in as a suspected explosion, also required the response of Frontenac Paramedics as a precautionary measure.
Fire crews reported heavy smoke on arrival, and quickly conducted a thorough search of the home, confirming no occupants inside. A cat was rescued by firefighters and was reportedly in good condition.
An initial investigation identified the source of the fire as the basement of the dwelling, and a dryer was suspected to have malfunctioned. The fire was not immediately considered suspicious, though the investigation continues and Kingston Police have been called in to maintain scene security pending further investigation.
Estimates on dollar value of the damage have not yet been given.